Is Climbing Kilimanjaro Safe? We get asked this a lot and this is rightly the no 1 inquiry for new climbers. In this article, we are going to cover the best practice Mount Kilimanjaro security measures to guarantee that your climb is protected and safe as possible. Without doing the vital research and choosing a qualified Kilimanjaro tour operator, therefore, you are putting yourself in danger.
Still, Wondering Is Climbing Kilimanjaro Safe?
So keeping your safety during Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in mind, what can you expect and what should you focus on while preparing for your summit? Here are a few key factors to consider:
- Train, Train, Train
- Go Slowly
- Bring Kilimanjaro Gear
- Drink Enough Water
- Choose Right Clothing
- Vaccines for Health
- Be Mentally Prepared
- Choose Kilimanjaro Rescue Procedure
IS CLIMBING KILIMANJARO SAFE – TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN
Your physical fitness is important while climbing Kilimanjaro as it makes it easy to climb. It is recommended to start preparation before 2 weeks of Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. You can get into a normal in the park for 5-6 miles or hike a short hill or trek a short mountain.
Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro For Beginners would be really a bit challenging if you are not properly trained. It’s not only physical training but also mental training is also important while climbing Kilimanjaro. Here is the list of Training For Kilimanjaro which you can follow;
- Aerobic training such as long-distance jogging, swimming, slow walking, and running.
- Strength training such as Lifting weights, pull-ups, crunches, leg squats and push up against walls to build the immune system of your body.
- Mental training such as long-distance marathon which requires determination to reach the finish line.
- Small hiking and stretching to keep muscle active, lean, and flexible.
IS CLIMBING KILIMANJARO SAFE – GO SLOWLY
Every climber is advised to walk slowly in Kilimanjaro, you will not need to stress yourself more. You can hear from the Kilimanjaro Porters often keep saying Pole Pole, which means slowly slowly in the Swahili language.
Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is like a marathon and not sprint. Acclimatization to the low levels of oxygen in the mountain requires you to take your time and this will make your body slowly get used to lack of oxygen and this is the important thing to follow for the success on the mountain.
Walking fast in the mountains may make you feel dehydrated and you will always need to stay hydrated.
It is better to walk in a pace that you can;
- Carry a conversation with fellow climbers.
- Walking very slow taking rest on each step and moving on by taking a deep breath.
- Always slow down yourself and enjoy the beauty of Kilimanjaro, view the panoramic scenery.
- Ascending too fast may cause you Altitude sickness and make it difficult to proceed further.
The slower you hike, the more time you give the body for acclimatization, and more is the success rate to reach the summit. Walking slowly is the best exercise to do according to Kilimanjaro Health & Safety.
IS CLIMBING KILIMANJARO SAFE – BRING KILIMANJARO GEAR
Before you start climbing it is advised to check Safety Guide for Kilimanjaro Climbs and know what to pack in your Kilimanjaro Gear List. It is really important to carry all the Kilimanjaro Safety Equipment to monitor you throughout the climb. Make sure to pack the essential climbing gear to ensure that you are as warm as possible.
Here are the few lists of climbing gears:
- Footwear – You will need to carry the hiking boots and those should be warm, water-resistant, and good quality.
- Warm socks – Carry a pair of thick socks for better warmth.
- Sun Protection – The UV intensity here is very high and you will need to carry sunglasses with high protection and sunscreen with SPF 30.
IS CLIMBING KILIMANJARO SAFE – DRINK ENOUGH WATER
You are traversing the high altitude, make sure to drink more water while climbing to avoid dehydration.
- It is recommended to drink at least 3-4litres of water a day.
- You can take a freshwater while you start your climb.
- It is also recommended to treat your water with water purification tablets.
- Make water your friend until you get down the mountain.
- Dehydration can increase your chances of headaches, acute mountain sickness, and fatigue, so drink plenty of water.
You should know that the water is collected from nearby mountain streams and treated with Aquatabs water purification tablets. You can consider getting a water bladder and a water bottle. A camelback water bladder is good to sip water as you climb if you are Climbing Kilimanjaro Solo.
IS CLIMBING KILIMANJARO SAFE – CHOOSE RIGHT CLOTHING
You will always have a question, Is Climbing Kilimanjaro Safe considering your skins. So, the answer is, choose the right type of clothing to stay safe during your Kilimanjaro climb.
You can carry these clothes while you are on the mountain:
- Layered jackets
- Top and bottom base layer
- Hiking trousers
- Insulated jackets and pants
- Sunhat and neck cover
- Inner and outer gloves
- Hiking boots
IS CLIMBING KILIMANJARO SAFE – VACCINES FOR HEALTH
Tanzania has few recommended vaccines for Kilimanjaro Tourist safety, however, there are no required and mandatory vaccinations for climbing Kilimanjaro. The main vaccination required for entering Tanzania is a Yellow fever vaccination certificate if you are traveling from an infected country.
The other recommended vaccinations are:
- Hepatitis A and B
It is also recommended to bring
- Diamox to treat altitude sickness
- Ciprofloxacin an anti-diarrhea medication
- Doxycycline or any anti-malaria drug
- Ibuprofen to treat high altitude headache.
Following all these tips which help Kilimanjaro Safety while climbing to the highest peak.
IS CLIMBING KILIMANJARO SAFE – BE MENTALLY PREPARED
The number of people who climb Kilimanjaro on a successful summit is equally proportional to the mental stamina of the climbers. The mental stamina is important because Mount Kilimanjaro is not a small hill, it is the highest peak in Africa.
It has the highest altitude level and may be risky if you are not prepared, there are times when you will feel to give up and get back down. If you have the determination to climb, then you can climb to the summit. The first thing you will need to stop asking is, How Difficult Is It To Climb Mount Kilimanjaro, this will release mental stress.
There are activities which help to train your mental fitness. You will need to push your body to the extreme limits and to accomplish your goals.
Run long distances and particularly marathon as this will require mental determination to reach the finish line.
IS CLIMBING KILIMANJARO SAFE – KILIMANJARO RESCUE PROCEDURE
Kilimanjaro is the safest mountain and Kilimanjaro Rescue will make it possible. There are possibilities when someone who has a severe Acute Mountain Sickness or has an injury on top of the mountain and needs a helicopter evacuation. Now, it is the duty of the Kilimanjaro Rescue And Safety team to start their work and with their mission of ‘making Kilimanjaro the safest tourist destination of Africa’.
You will need to choose a Kilimanjaro Travel Insurance which includes rescue procedures on emergency conditions. It should include and cover 6000 ft above the sea level and also a helicopter evacuation.
Won't you join us on the Roof of Africa?
Jerry Tanzania Tours is one of the no 1 reputable operators on Mount Kilimanjaro, leading over 1000 climbs and guiding more than 2,000 people every year. All agree you won't find a better Kilimanjaro outfitter for your Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. Choose From Varied Price Options For Different Routes To Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. Get Quotes Instantly! CONTINUE READING
So, considering these above factors you now know Is Climbing Kilimanjaro Safe or not. The main thing you should do is, join a high-altitude training prior to 2 weeks of your departure to Kilimanjaro. We at Jerry Tanzania Tours work as the best Kilimanjaro Tour Operator make sure your safety as our first priority.