Mount Kilimanjaro is one of the most preferred and loved summits of the world. Trekkers from all round the globe try accessing this mountain peak in large number every year. While it is expected to have high level of physical fitness and mental preparedness for the climb. It is also highly advisable to equip yourself with right kind of climbing gears. And on this particular blog we are going to laid stress on the best Sunglasses For Kilimanjaro.
An important part during any Kilimanjaro Climbing is to keep your eyes safe and protected to be able to see things clearly that comes your way. This helps you in taking calculated judgements throughout the path that you follow.
The chances of exposure to sun on higher elevations are quite obvious. The sun shining bright with more intense light and emitting harmful UV radiation make conditions worse for eyes.
In addition to sun there are also chances of chilled wind and snow capable of causing threat to eyes if not protected well.
Expected Dangers Of Exposure To Sun During Kilimanjaro Climbing
Exposure to direct sun is more on higher elevations due to thinning of atmosphere and clear skies. Solar radiation increases by 10 % with every 1,000 m of altitude. That means the higher you climb the more the exposure of sun.
In addition, the snow reflects sun light more than the plain ground, which again raises the possibility of exposure to harsh sun by many folds.
Exposure varies with the thickness of ozone layer, your location, the angle of incidence of the sun’s rays and the season.
Mountains are always expected to have good sunlight even when conditions are cloudy. Therefore, it is advisable to equip yourself with a good pair of sunglass capable enough to tolerate the harsh sun during Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing.
Is It Essential To Use Sunglasses During Kilimanjaro Hiking?
The answer to the above question is an absolute “yes” and reason are as stated:
- They not only protect against harsh UV rays but also dirt, sand, snow and any such things that might enter into your eyes and hinder your journey.
- It protects eyes from snow blindness or photokeratisis which is caused due to erosion of cells covering the cornea due to over exposure to UVB rays.
- It also helps you in avoiding exhaustion of retina during prolonged exposure to intense heat and light.
- Extreme cold during mountain climbing results in freezing of the eyelids causing loss of perception of route.
- Freezing of cornea can cause irreversible necroses due to delay in treatment.
Therefore, investing in a pair of good sunglasses for climbing Kilimanjaro is not a luxury but an utmost necessity.
Most Preferred Type Of Frames For Sunglasses
- A curved frame that fits around the eyes with side shields for complete protection is highly recommended.
- Adjustable temples or slim temples are good options as they hold well and can slip easily under a cap or hat.
- Frames with straps are a good choice because it rules out the chances of slipping or losing your glasses during treks.
Preferred Lens Types For Mountain Climbing
- Lenses are categorized depending on their capacity to protect against the harmful UV rays and are rated on a scale from 1 to 4.
- A category 3 lens, blocks up to 80% of the sunrays are really effective during driving, general hiking or beach holidays.
- The category 4 lenses are best for high altitude climbing with low VLT rating ranging between 3 to 8%
- Grey and Green tints are better choices for lens colour and even reduces glare. They help keeping eyes fresh and cool. Even brown colour lenses are a good option.
- Lenses made out of Polyurethane – the most expensive lens material are strongly recommended. They are strong, shatter- and scratch-proof with great optics and super durable. They even do not need coatings.
- Hydrophobic coatings on lenses are ideal for damp conditions or humid areas.
- Polarized lenses reduces glare thus offers best visibility and comfort.
Recommended Features In Sunglasses To Be Used During Hiking, Trekking, Mountaineering
- Anti-glare lenses to block the sun and sun glare.
- Wider frames for better protection from chill and unexpected wind
- Better ground visibility
- Best grip with no slippage feature
- Mirror finish and dark tinted lenses
- 100 % protection from UV rays so that the eyes remains cool and one can focus on the climb alone.
- Eyes and area around the eyes are well covered
- Comfortable to wear for many hours altogether.
- Polarized lenses so that they filter out reflected light and reduce more glare.
The equatorial sun over Kilimanjaro is quite strong. It is essential to protect your precious eyes and stay safe throughout Kilimanjaro Climbing. Try investing a decent amount in Sunglasses For Kilimanjaro and you would never have to look back.
There are many awesome brands offering the best Sunglasses For Climbing Kilimanjaro. You can always refer to points stated above and make the best choice from the options available. For an elaborate Kilimanjaro Gear List feel free to visit our site at https://jerrytanzaniatours.com/kilimanjaro-gear-list.