Hiking is a bit like life…
The journey only requires you to put one foot in front of the other, again and again, and again…And if you allow yourself the opportunity to be present throughout the entirety of the trek, you will witness the beauty of every step of the way, not just at the summit – By Anonymous.
Mountains and beauty is the synonym to each other. Mountain hiking is something that gives adventure and peace at the same time. Tanzania is a country that is a dream destination between trekkers worldwide. The conical rugged volcanic peaks drive mountaineers crazy, and the prime attraction between them is the lofty Kilimanjaro. This mystic mountain having an altitude of 5,895m the mountain is considered as the “Roof of Africa”. Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is a dream of many and this drives around 35,000 trekkers each year.
Planning to take your next trip to hike “Every Man’s Everest”? Here are a few tips that will make your journey memorable.
Few Facts About Mount Kilimanjaro
Planning to Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro? Here are a few interesting facts to know before climbing this majestic peak:
- This dormant volcano’s highest altitude is on 5,895m called Uhuru. This mountain is the highest free-standing mountain in the world and the highest peak in Africa.
- There are 7 official climbing routes of Kilimanjaro that offers a non-technical climbing to the highest peak of the mountain.
- The first ascend to Kilimanjaro was done in 1889 by Hans Meyer who was a German Geologist.
- This volcano mountain’s major eruption took place 360,000 years ago in Kibo and the last volcanic activity occurred 200 years back.
- Since 1912, the mountain is reducing its glacier on the summit steadily due to global warming.
- The youngest person to have climbed Mt Kilimanjaro is currently Keats Boyd from Los Angeles at the age of 7 and the oldest is Martin Kafer at 85.
Choosing The Best Route
To reach the snow-capped Uhuru peak, Kilimanjaro enables 5 best routes that let you reach the top. This route varies in nature, days to complete the summit, and challenges to meet. Know the routes better to choose the best suitable one for yourself.
Approaching the mountain from the north, Rongai Route is truly an exclusive route that experiences a very low crowd. Though the route is a bit less scenic it compensates by providing true wilderness experience on the way.
- Success Rate: 65% – 80% depending upon the number of days of the itinerary
- More Preferred By : Preferred by those who are looking for a bit challenging climb with prior experience
Undoubtedly the most scenic route of Kilimanjaro, Lemosho Route offers panoramic vistas on various sides of the mountain. Lemosho is a newer Kilimanjaro route that is going insanely popular between the trekkers’ day-by-day.
- Success Rate: 90% as the route is a loner one taking 8-9 days.
- More Preferred By: Probably choose by most of the trekker
Popularly known as “Whiskey Route” Machame is the most popular route of Kilimanjaro despite its challenging path-way. Machame Route is quite steep and challenging and has a shorter itinerary.
- Success Rate: The success rate recorded is 85%
- More Preferred By: Mostly choose by the adventure lovers and those who are looking for a shorter day hike
Marangu Route is the oldest and one of the preferred routes among the trekkers for years. Marangu is the sole route that offers hut accommodation to the trekkers that come with bunk bed and comfortable mattresses. Except for Marangu, all the other routes provide only camping opportunities to take rest.
- Success Rate: The route has recorded 80% success rate
- More Preferred By: More preferably chosen by the newer trekkers
Northern Circuit Route:
Northern Circuit Route is one of the newest routes to summit Kilimanjaro that and certainly one of the most enjoyable ways to climb Kilimanjaro. This remote route receives very fewer trekkers every year.
- Success Rate: The route record 95% success rate
- More Preferred By: More preferably chosen by the trekkers who love adventure
Choosing a Tour Operator
The success of the Kilimanjaro trek depends upon a lot of factors and choosing the right trek partner is the most important one. The tour operators take all the responsibilities of you trekking after you land at Kilimanjaro airport. Picking you from the airport to dropping back at the hotel for the return flight the trek operators usually take care of everything including your health, food, and safety on the trekking way. So choose your tour partner for Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro wisely.
Few tips to choose your best trek partner:
- Do good research
- Don’t fascinate with the low price (hidden price may include)
- Check license
- Better choose local
Consider About Your Health & Fitness
Climbing 5,895m height is not a weak heart’s game; the mountain through a decent challenge to reach its peak. So it’s highly advisable to have good physical fitness and some prior fitness training to climb this highest altitude of Africa.
How to prepare:
- Do some running and cycling
- Do some cardio exercises
- Choose a longer route
- If possible go on a short hike
Pack the Right Gear
Right gears are another prime factor for a successful summiting. As the giant mountain enables 5 different climate zones, trekkers need to pack the right clothes and trekking gears to have a smooth summit experience. To know more about the right gears go through our best Kilimanjaro Gear List.
These adventurous Kilimanjaro routes aren’t very physically challenged, however; a mental fitness with a decent physical fitness can let you reach the summit successfully. The success rate of Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro differs due to a lot of reasons and the prime one is choosing low days itinerary and wrong trekking partner. Visit us at jerrytanzaniatours.com to know why we claim ourselves one of the best Kilimanjaro trek operators.