So you guys are ready for your next adventurous trip for Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. You will be amazed by the panoramic view at the Kilimanjaro Summit. But a full proof plan is needed for a successful climb on Mount Kilimanjaro. So we are here to help you out with these following tips to make a successful Kilimanjaro Trek.
GEAR YOUR TRIP UP
- While climbing Kilimanjaro, it is of the utmost importance to bring the right gear, which will help you during your trek along the Kilimanjaro Trails.
- One of the essential items for your climb is a pair of waterproof boots and socks that will keep you warmer in the blisters during the Mount Kilimanjaro Trek.
- Freezing fingers, toes, and cold necks are no fun. So make sure you bring an extra warm gear to keep yourself safe from getting cold.
- It is common to get sunburned in high elevations and these sunburns will increase discomfort levels and your propensity towards dehydration. So do not forget to carry sunscreen, sunglasses, hats, all the sun protection.
DO PROPER KILIMANJARO TRAINING
- Kilimanjaro is considered as the most popular trekking peak, and it is true that you do not need any technical training to complete this climb, but that does not mean that you do not need any training.
- Kilimanjaro summit is one of the seven summits that is accessible for most reasonably fit individuals, but you have to physically prepare yourself to fully enjoy your adventurous Kilimanjaro Trek.
- Depending on your experience to date, your training will vary greatly. If you are used to trekking and have a high level of fitness already, then your training will be very different if you are joining a trip without any experience or high levels of fitness.
- This training should be done for approximately six to eight months prior to the start date of your Kilimanjaro trek.
- We recommend spending at least four days a week either walking uphill on a treadmill or on a stair-master for one to two hours a day. It will help you to practice and understand the huddles during trekking.
- You should build up to carrying 10-12 kilos in a backpack on your back. Doing this type of daily training sessions, along with one long day a week out in the hills, is ideal.
- In your longer session in the hills, you will have to walk for four to seven hours, going up and down hills with the weighted pack on your back.
CHOOSE YOUR KILIMANJARO ROUTE CAREFULLY
- The most important piece of advice for every Kilimanjaro travelers is to have a minimum of 8 days on the mountain. We found that the best route up the mountain is using the Machame Route over 7 days and the Lemosho Route over 8 days.
- If you want to be safe, successful and have the best experience possible at the Kilimanjaro Hiking Trails, then you need to invest as much time as possible.
- There are officially seven routes up the mountain, however, I would only recommend two of those, the Lemosho Route and Machame Route.
- One of the biggest problems during Kilimanjaro Trekking is people try to go up the mountain way to quickly, not allowing themselves the necessary time to acclimatize to the low levels of oxygen. I would never step foot on Kilimanjaro with less than a seven-day trek and 8 days is best.
CHOOSE YOUR BEST TIME TO HIKE MOUNT KILIMANJARO
- Kilimanjaro is climbable at any time during the year, but it becomes muddy and stormy during the two Tanzanian wet seasons, which includes March to May and November to early December.
- Most of the climbers, therefore, opt for Kilimanjaro summit between January and February or between June and October.
- So we recommend the best time to visit Kilimanjaro is during the dry weather, for a combination of good weather conditions. You can also try during one of the seasonal transitions between wet and dry.
KEEP GOING SLOWLY
- For the highest chance of Kilimanjaro’s success and the lowest risk of High altitude sickness, choose a longer journey to the Mount Kilimanjaro Summit rather than a shorter one.
- Acclimatizing to the low levels of oxygen in the mountains takes time, and it is essential to be gentle with your body so it can get used to the lack of oxygen.
- You should be walking at a pace where you can carry on a conversation with others. On Kilimanjaro summit night, you will adopt a slow pace, taking a rest step in-between each step to conserve your energy. Rest-stepping is a technique utilized by professional mountaineers to help them reach the summits.
- When Climbing Kilimanjaro, your Kilimanjaro Success Rate increase significantly depending on the number of days you are spending on the Mount Kilimanjaro trails.
- People who opt for an 8 days climb have the highest success rate at 85%. This success rate decreases to 64% for 7 days, 44% for a 6 day, and 27% for 5-day routes. So you can see, in the long run, you can find a high success rate.
- Keeping yourself hydrated at altitude is extremely important. Your body dehydrates much quicker at high altitude.
- Therefore, you need to replenish your fluids and drink a lot more water than you take at home. We recommend drinking four to five liters a day when at altitude.
- If you follow this rule, you will combat high-altitude sickness and keep yourself feeling good throughout the trip.
- Try and drink one liter of water before each day before you start your Kilimanjaro Trek. It will help you to start the process in a day. You should carry at least three liters of water with you and drink plenty of water before your lunch.
- You can rehydrate yourself at your lunchtime with two more liters. If you drink that much water through the rest of the day, you have attained your 5 liters, which is really necessary to avoid altitude sickness.
- This process of drinking five liters of water a day can be hard, but it is really important for the people to achieve success on Kilimanjaro.
AVOID ALTITUDE SICKNESS
- There are a few signs to be aware of when going to high altitude. This can be different for different people, however, there are a few main signs of Kilimanjaro Altitude Sickness that you see.
- Headaches, nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, lack of appetite, and shortness of breath. Some of these are more serious than others and some should be expected.
- Traditionally, if you have three or more symptoms of altitude sickness, you should be descending to lower levels of altitude immediately.
- Always drink plenty of water while in the mountains. One of the greatest causes of altitude sickness in the mountains is due to dehydration, so drinking water can greatly help to eliminate or lessen your headaches.
HIKE, EAT, SLEEP, RECOVER
- On the mountain, you will quickly find yourself in a routine. You wake up, eat breakfast, and hike.
- Getting ample sleep is important on the mountain, but easier said than done. As your body is adjusting to the climate at high altitude, you may find yourself waking up often throughout the night. You may also face a lack of sleep.
- On the first few nights, you will find these types of situations. It will be a good sign that your sleep quality improves as time passes.
- This means you are recovering for a better from the daily activities and your body is acclimatizing too.
HAVE FAITH ON YOURSELF
- A positive mental attitude can keep you going when fatigue and doubts arise. Believe in yourself. Remember, you don’t walk the path all at once, you walk it one step at a time and as long as you take the next step, you will reach the summit.
- Summit day may seem daunting, but your mindset can change everything. If you find yourself plagued with doubt, remind yourself that many people thought they did not think they would make it, but they did. So you can do it also.
CHOOSE A GOOD TOUR OPERATOR
- You will find numerous companies who are offering the trip to Kilimanjaro trails but it is very much important to choose your Kilimanjaro Tour Operator carefully for a safe and comfortable Mount Kilimanjaro Hike.
- An experienced guide knows how to set the right pace for the group. He or she knows how to detect and treat altitude sickness. The Climb Kilimanjaro Guide understands how to enhance your chances of reaching the summit, successfully and safely.
- And most important, good guides can coordinate a rescue in emergency situations because they have been trained in safety protocols.
Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is not so daunting but some necessary steps are to be taken to achieve success. If you keep these tips on your mind, you will be there on the snowy crown of Mount Kilimanjaro for sure. We, at Jerry Tanzania Tours, are the most reputed tour operator for providing the best Kilimanjaro Trip.
Call us if you are having any query or you can comment below. Our experts will solve your doubts.