Warning: Illegal string offset 'suggestedpageid' in /home/jerrytanzaniatou/public_html/blog/wp-content/themes/jerrytanzania-child/functions.php on line 854
Most of the new or experienced climbers have been wanting to know about Best Time To Climb Kilimanjaro. They are often confused to choose the right Month & Season for Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro for their busy schedule and vacation time.
Likewise Tanzania, Kilimanjaro Climbing Season is expected likewise the dry season and wet season have been covering entire months of every year. The suitability for the climbing season also matters for an enjoyable, smooth, and successful summit at Uhuru peak.
UNDERSTANDING THE VARIATION IN KILIMANJARO WEATHER CONDITIONS
When the altitude increases, the temperature decreases. January and February months are the warmest months for the lowest slopes with Kilimanjaro Average Temperature around 25 degrees Celsius.
June and July are the coolest months for the lowest slopes with an average temperature of 12 degrees Celsius. April and May are the wettest months.
Deciding for Best Time Of Year To Climb Kilimanjaro doesn’t depend upon the fact of temperatures. It may be 25 – 30 degrees Celsius in the lowest or cultivation zone of Mount Kilimanjaro whereas the temperature is -10 degrees Celsius in the summit zone of Uhuru peak. You can subtract one degree after the completion of every 200 meters to know the temperatures.
According to the five ecological zones, altitudes, and time of the day, the temperature on the lower slopes varies.
CLIMATIC ZONES ON KILIMANJARO
Kilimanjaro Climbing Season depends upon climatic or ecological zone. During your Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, you will face five ecological Kilimanjaro Climate Zones in different altitudes. These zones are Cultivated Areas, Rainforest, Heath and Moorlands, Alpine Desert, and Arctic zones.
Cultivated Area Zone (800m-1800m)
- This zone has many rivers formed by melting glaciers from the top of Mount Kilimanjaro. This region also receives the greatest annual rainfall. This zone is the cultivated land with bushland, grasslands, and populated human settlements.
- As this region is rich with fertile volcanic, this region is best for agriculture. You can see farmland and small Chagga villages. The porters, guides, and other members come from this village. The farmland in this region is famous for coffee plantation and production.
Rainforest Zone (1800m-2800m)
- The Rainforest zone receives six to seven feet of rain per year. In the day time, you will face warm temperatures and high humidity in dense vegetation. You should carry rain gear to protect from the constant drizzle.
- With a magical vibrant color of dense vegetation, this forest has trail which is covered of deep gorges of emerald green blankets.
Heath and Moorland Zone (2800m-4000m)
- During the day time temperature is 40 degrees Celsius and varies unpredictably in this zone. You will face less rain, gusting winds, giant heathers, wild grasses, and rocky trails.
- While you climb the path with tall grasses, then you are entering into the Moorland zone.
Alpine or Highland Desert Zone (4000m-5000m)
- The temperatures reach up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Due to the proximity to the equator and thin air causes high solar radiation. At night, the temperature drops below the freezing point.
- This is the region of “very high altitude” and has fewer floras. The bitter cold with adverse Kilimanjaro Summit Weather condition is very difficult to beer. For better acclimatization, trekkers should rest here for a few days.
Arctic or Summit Zone (5000m-5895m)
The lower part of the Arctic zone is full of loose dirt and gravel is known as scree which is very difficult to climb. This zone is full of snow and glacier walls. The morning, evening, and night temperature drops below the freezing point.
BEST MONTHS FOR CLIMBING MOUNT KILIMANJARO
January: January is one of the Best Time To Climb Kilimanjaro with warmer, less rain, and less cloud.
February: With a clear sky and low rain, February offers better Kilimanjaro Summit Weather conditions, less cloud and Mount Kilimanjaro can be climbed until the end of the month. You can watch dusty dry trials this month.
March: Though there is no rain above 12, 000 ft, most of the trekkers’ face difficulties in the cultivated and rainforest zones of Mount Kilimanjaro. The cloud covers Kilimanjaro and Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro can be very challenging because of wet path and snow.
April: Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro In April can give you some amazing scenery on and off the mountain. April is among the heavy rainy season of Kilimanjaro and it is raining heavily on the lower two zones of Mt. Kilimanjaro. You can choose Rongai Route, the driest route for Kilimanjaro.
May: May is one of the wetter months for Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. You can choose the Rongai route, the driest route for Kilimanjaro and traffic is very low.
June: June is one of the Best Month To Climb Kilimanjaro. You can enjoy the stunning views of the mountain with beautiful sunrises and sunsets. You can also face less traffic than July and August.
July: As one of the Kilimanjaro Climbing Season, July is included in Kilimanjaro’s best season for climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. With high traffic, the weather is very colder at high altitude in this month. There is less rain in the rain forest & great mountain views.
August: August is the best month for Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro as it is a dry and dusty month. During the night, the temperature is less cold than in June and July. With great weather, August month offers an amazing view of less cloud impeding the mountain
September: September offers the highest traffics, great weather, dryer conditions, and excellent mountain views.
October: Early October is known as one of the Kilimanjaro Climbing Season as it has the highest traffic profile. At the end of the month, you can watch the rolling clouds surrounding the mountain.
November: With more rain, climbing Kilimanjaro in November is challenging for a wet path and bitter cold on higher altitudes. You may experience rain every day for a short period of the day.
December: As there is a potentiality of December as the Kilimanjaro Climbing Season, you should hike after mid-December. But the weather can’t be reliable.
PREPARE FOR BAD WEATHER DURING CLIMBING MOUNT KILIMANJARO
In bad weather or in the wet season, the cultivated zone and rainforest zone receive more than 10 inches of rainfall. Bring ski jackets, waterproof jackets, Ski trousers, rain trousers, and fleece trousers to avoid the rainfall in these zones in the rainy season.
Wear Gaiters, socks, and socks liners to keep out the water from your lower body part during hiking.
If you love to enjoy the scenic view of emerald vegetation of Mount Kilimanjaro and dense rain forest in the rainforest zone, then you are welcome in November, and from March to May.
To avoid wet weather, you can choose the Rongai Route, the driest and one of the Best Route To Climb Kilimanjaro. You can also get better facilities and accommodations at a moderate price.
MORE IS THE TIME, BETTER IS THE SUMMIT SUCCESS RATE
- Giving more time or days on the route for the acclimatization, the chance will increase the Kilimanjaro Success Rate.
- Choosing longer routes with high acclimatization profile gives a better summit rate than other routes according to the data found.
- Though it cost more for a longer route, you can enjoy your experience climbing Kilimanjaro in the long routes like 8 Days Lemosho Route.
Altogether we hope this information will help you to choose the Best Time To Climb Kilimanjaro among all Kilimanjaro seasons.
Won't you join us on the Roof of Africa?
Jerry Tanzania Tours is one of the no 1 reputable operators on Mount Kilimanjaro, leading over 1000 climbs and guiding more than 2,000 people every year. All agree you won't find a better Kilimanjaro outfitter for your Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. Choose From Varied Price Options For Different Routes To Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. Get Quotes Instantly! CONTINUE READING
Jerry Tanzania Tours, one of the best Kilimanjaro Tour Operator with its experienced professional as well as Climb Kilimanjaro Guide provide a unique and most comfortable Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. Hence to know about the Best Time To Climb Kilimanjaro, visit @ jerrytanzaniatours.com